Saturday, July 04, 2009

Hot weather and sore backs

I hurt my back a couple of months ago, strained it pretty badly. I thought it was better, but yesterday, it flared back up again. Was especially hard to get up and down from sitting, and made it hard to put Declan down. Feels much better today, but with that warning twinge that says you're about one wrong move from having a really, really bad week.

The weather has been so miserable hot here. Even for Texas/Houston, it's been a very unusually hot and dry June. I think it hasn't rained in 2 months. This upcoming week's forecast shows 40-60% chance of rain every day, so I'm very hopeful the weather patterns have changed and we can get some rain soon. Everything in my yard is burning up. Plus the heat leads to some killer power bills. Ouch.

Yesteday, we drove downtown to a store called New Living. It's an eco-friendly, green hardware store. They carry no-VOC paint, cork, bamboo and linoleum flooring, all kinds of tile made from recycled glass and concrete, and natural beds and pillows. I tried the wool and natural latex pillow and fell in love with it. But it's $159, so it'll be a while before I can get one. They even had a paint consultant to help us pick out colors. I always tend to go too dark on color, so she help me pick out colors that would hopefully be what I wanted without going too drastic.

No comments: