Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Starting Solids - Avocado Time

So lately, Declan's been in a growth spurt. He won't sleep the night through anymore because he wakes up hungry in the middle of the night. He's eating almost 40 ounces of formula a day and he's more than doubled his birth weight. So I decided to try him on solid foods tonight.

His first food is avocado. I had bought a nice ripe one to go with my eggs, but it got badly bruised on the way home. So I mashed it up and mixed a little bit with some formula to make it nice and runny, then it was dinner time for Declan.

We started off with an appetizer of a couple ounces of formula before we tried the avocado. I had a spoon, but we had more success if I dipped a bit on my finger and put it in his mouth. He's used to sucking on my finger, so it wasn't as strange as the spoon.


At first, he was rather nonplused. He just sat there and didn't do much. He didn't push it out, but he didn't move it around in his mouth either. Eventually, he kind of wiggled his tongue and I think he swallowed some. I kept it up, dipping a little bit on my finger and putting it in his mouth. After 3-4 times, he seemed restless, so we went back to the bottle, but I think he was confused, because there was still avocado in his mouth, so he wasn't sucking very much on the bottle.

We went back and forth a few times.

"Mom, I'm not sure what this is, and I'm not sure I like it."


and...

"You can put it on my lips, but you can't make me open my mouth."


I bought a couple more avocados. He'll get those for the next four more days until we try something new. Maybe I'll try green beans.

No comments: