Monday, August 10, 2009

Starting Solids

Declan's pedi gave us the go-ahead to start him on solids if we want to. I keep vacillating on the issue. On the one hand, waiting until 6 months makes it less likely he'll develop allergies, and it's just plain easier to feed him a bottle right now. It's easy, it's quick, and it's relatively mess-free.

On the other hand, he's more than doubled his birth weight, he can sit upright in his high chair, and he's eating 40 ounces of formula a day for the last 2 days. He's either in a growth spurt, or he's big enough he needs to start on some solids. I figure I'll give it another 2-4 days, and if he's still eating 40 ounces, I'll start him on some rice or avocado.

I think it'll be fun, and I'm excited to cook for him and try new things. I just know that after the initial fun, it'll be lots more work in prepping meals for him, because I don't want to use commercially prepared baby foods very much. I want to make most of his meals. And of course, having the camera near by to capture his expressions.

I do refuse to put cereal in his bottles, especially at night. Everything I've read says that giving them cereal in a bottle to help sleep is a myth, and you want the baby to associate solid foods with a spoon.

No comments: