Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Such a successful recycling event!

On Saturday, my work hosted an e-waste recycling event for the south Houston area. We were one of 5 locations around Houston, and we thought it would be a big turnout. Wow, we had no idea!

The morning got off to a hectic start. The forklifts were an hour late showing up, so we couldn't unload the supplies from the trucks. The guys finally resorted to pulling out pallets by hand.

The event didn't officially start until 9:00 am, and by 9, we already had 66 cars come through. By the time it ended at 4, we had to turn cars away, and we had about 1,500 cars come through to drop off stuff. The wait was about an hour long, so kudos to everyone who waited. We ended up filling 12 tractor trailers full of e-waste, with an estimated weight of 400,000 pounds. Absolutely amazing.

The weather was good, too. It was sunny, but chilly and very windy. Unfortunately, that meant I got a bad sunburn. I was up before dawn and forgot about sunscreen, then it was so cool that I didn't realize I was getting burned. Daniel called me raccoon girl all weekend because my face was red except around my eyes where my sunglasses had been.

Overall though, it was great. I hope we can do it again next year.

No comments: