Sunday, July 04, 2010

A little dirt never hurt anybody

It's been raining all week. I'm guessing somewhere around 5 inches, maybe more. My yard is a lake. I'm glad we have the rain, because we had a drought for the past 8 weeks, but I'd rather it was a little more spread out instead of drought / drench.

Yesterday, I took Declan out for a walk and to play in puddles. We found a nice big puddle in a street nearby without any traffic on it. So he spent 20 minutes or more just splashing through it, then he had to pick up twigs and throw them in the puddle for another 10 minutes. Then he decided to just sit down in the water and play some there. Oh well, we were going to take a bath anyway. But it was so much fun to watch him play in the water. I think he would have stayed out there for hours, but I finally got tired of watching him.

He even managed to eat some mud before I noticed and could stop him. Meh. Maybe now he'll realize that mud isn't good to eat and won't try it anymore. Maybe. I firmly believe that kids need to get dirty and exercise their immune systems. At any rate, he's only been sick once, and that was a 2 day cold. Probably the fact that he doesn't go to daycare has a lot to do with it too.

No comments: