Friday, November 09, 2007

Catching Up - Quilts and Parents and Hospitals

Yeah, lots of stuff has happened since the last time I posted. It's been busy.

Went to the International Quilt Festival in Houston last Thursday. The only way to describe it was overwhelming. I've never been in such a large building, and one third was quilts, another third was vendor booths, and the last third was the food hall. In spite of spending 6 hours there, I still only saw about half the quilts and a little more than half the vendors. And that's skipping all the sewing machine and quilt fabric vendors. I can't afford a new sewing machine and I don't need any more fabric. I did break down and buy a quilt kit. It's a small flannel ragtop quilt. Since the fabric was included with the instructions, I decided I'd go ahead and get it. This way I get the whole package at once. So far, I've got the pieces cut out. Here's a link to my quilt album. This is only a fraction of the pictures I took there.
Houston International Quilt Show 2007


My parents were here visiting last week. They got in on Thursday so they could go to the Galveston Bike Rally on Friday. We also got up early and went to NASA to see the balloons come in for the Ballunar Festival. It was very nice, with the balloons coming in out of the morning mist. Here's some pictures of that.
Ballunar 2007


They stayed over the weekend and left to go back to Illinois on Monday morning. I was looking forward to a return to a nice, boring routine. No such luck. Monday night, Daniel tripped over the littlest cat and fell and broke his elbow. Four hours later, we got out of the emergency room with his arm in a sling and a prescription for Vicodin. Luckily, his professors were nice and are willing to work with him, especially since he broke his right arm.

Then my routine was thrown out of whack because the gym at work was closed for repairs all week. Finally got back in today and got in a nice hard workout. Now I have a three-day weekend, and I'm ready for it. Hoorah!

No comments: