Friday, December 04, 2009

Baby Yoga Pants - A Tutorial With Pictures

I like dressing Declan in sweat pants because they seem to be the most comfy and easy to get on and off. But considering he goes through about 2 pairs a day, he needs more. I'm also cheap and hate spending $7 at Target, and I couldn't find what I wanted at a thrift store. So I decided to make my own.

I found a nice sweats fabric in the remnant bin at Hancock Fabrics. I got a half yard, and it's enough to make a couple pairs, but so far, I've just done one.

Cut out the two pieces from a template that I made from an old pair of pants.


Sew a 5/8" seam along the inseam. I forgot to take a picture of that part. It's the long leg seam.

Press the seams open.


Invert one leg and slide it inside the other one so that the right sides are together.


Pin the front and back seams together, matching at the existing crotch seam. Sew a 5/8" seam.


Press that seam open.


Do a quick test fitting on your model. Mine was fairly willing to model at the time. The waist is a little small, but it'll do. Next pair, I'll add some to the waist measurement.


Cut a piece of 1/2" elastic that is a little bigger than the waistband.


Using a seam guide, turn the waistband down 1" to the inside. Pin.


Sew a seam about 1/4" from the bottom edge of the waistband casing. I went back over it with a zig zag seam and cut a couple of snips in the original straight seam, because it didn't seem to have enough give. Make sure to leave a 1" - 1.5" opening in the casing to thread your elastic.


Fold one end of the elastic over and thread onto a safety pin.


Using the safety pin, thread the elastic through the waistband casing.


Sew the elastic together, giving your waistband whatever stretchiness you need. Hand sew the casing closed.


Turn inside out. I added a row of decorative stitching, just for the heck of it.


Dress baby in new warm sweat pants. I purposely let the legs be a little long so they cover his feet. He's not crawling or walking yet, and if I need to, I can tack them up.


Not the most professional dressmaking job ever, but he's only going to wear them around the house, and they'll likely be covered in bananas, cereal, crackers, and all sorts of other stuff.

No comments: