Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricane Ike Update - Thursday Afternoon

We talked it over all night and again this morning. We finally decided not to evacuate, although I have yet to cancel my hotel room in Dallas. The models have shifted and have Ike coming in as a weak to moderate Cat 3 coming in a little west of Galveston Bay, putting us on the dirty side. I think they're forecasting us to get winds of 60-90 mph. They're predicting 15-20 foot surge into Galveston. We're at 23-25 feet above mean sea level. We are not in a mandatory evacuation zone.

We went out this morning to Wal-Mart, early, and I'm glad we went early. We didn't need much. Got a couple lights, another tarp, some instant coffee and one more flat of water. Had to go out again to run a couple of errands, like dropping off library books, and topped off my gas tank. The interstate headed north was already backed up and moving very slowly.

When we got back, we started putting stuff in the garage. Put Daniel's car in the garage, but we're going to wait until tomorrow morning to try and squeeze my car in there. I think we have everything inside now. The last big task is to take pictures of all our belongings in case something catastrophic happens.

We're eating stuff out of the refrigerator and freezer to empty those out and saving the canned food for later, because I expect the power to go out. Put the collars on the cats, and they're very annoyed at that.

No comments: