Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Should be renamed Hurricane EEEK! I keep changing my mind every 30 minutes about whether we should evacuate or not. The nightmare of evacuating from Rita is still scarred into my mind. I really do not want to go through anything like that again. Hours and hours of sitting in traffic in the middle of the night with 2 cats yowling in the back seat and desperately praying for a gas station that had gas. I just don't know if I can handle it.

The official forecast track is to come in at Matagorda Bay as a Cat 4. That's about 90 miles SW of us. If so, we'll experience Cat 1 winds Friday night. I'm not worried about flooding or storm surge. On the other hand, a couple of the better models have it coming in at Galveston Bay as a Cat 4. If that's the case, it's idiotic to stay.

I just made hotel reservations in Dallas, about 5 hours north of here. Of course, the tracks show it going over Dallas as well and soaking it. I've also got the phone numbers of a cousin who said we could stay with them.

Even if we don't get bad winds, we could lose power. Staying here with no A/C or fans and lots of mosquitoes doesn't sound like any fun either.


Well, I think we'll make some preparations tonight, then assess again tomorrow.

No comments: