Friday, September 12, 2008

Update: 10:00 pm

Our power just flickered, so I think I'm going to shut my computer down after I post this.

We're getting steady, strong winds and some pretty strong gusts. They're calling for hurricane force winds to impact Houston around midnight and keep going through the morning.

We've looked outside a few times. Lots of leaves down, and it's raining pretty steadily now. No trees down yet. TV said 200,000 people without power, and they expect 5.1 million to be without power by tomorrow. Our house has creaked a bit, but that's about it. Not sure where we'll sleep tonight. Maybe in the bedroom, or we may pull out the air mattress and sleep in the hallway.

We were watching a movie on the expanded cable, just for a break from the storm news, but the upper channels just went out. We can still get the normal cable channels.

Earlier, when we were watching the news, their signal flickered and they said they just went to generator backup. Daniel and I both had the same thought at the same time. We got up and grabbed the flashlights and put them on the coffee table so we could find them quickly.

Anyway, we're set for the night. Towels, blankets, flashlights, first-aid kit, water are all handy. The cats aren't too worried yet, and we're both pretty calm.

As I type, I can hear the tree outside the window bang on the edge of the house every 30 seconds or so. It's a fairly small tree though, only about 15 feet tall.

Alright. Wish us luck. I think this will be my last post for a while. I may get my parents to post something tomorrow for us, just to tell everyone how we fared.

G'night.

No comments: