Friday, September 12, 2008

Update: 12:30 pm

Oh wow. They're showing the road into Surfside. They've been showing it all morning, and an hour ago, the water from the Intercoastal waterway was starting to encroach on the road. It's the only road in and out of Surfside. The emergency people said when the road was down to one lane, they would pull out the emergency workers and shut down access to Surfside. Just now, they showed it again, and the road is almost entirely underwater.

They've issued a curfew in Galveston from 8pm to 5am, and if they catch you out, it's a $2,000 fine. The police have closed Seawall Blvd off to the public, but it doesn't matter. People are still out taking pictures and walking along. One of the piers has collapsed already, and the waves are crashing really high over the seawall.

Here's another interesting link. It's to the Houston Transtar camera system.
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cctv/transtar/by_roadway.html?mnu=freeway

You can look at dozens of cameras for the freeways and streets.

My neighbors are outside taking down the tin roof over their patio. The winds still haven't gotten rough yet. I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten worse based on what I'm seeing in Galveston. It's only 30 miles east of us.

Heard from one of my coworkers this morning. He's in a mandatory evacuation zone, so he's going to stay with a friend further inland. His wife got on a plane this morning, one of the last flights out, I think. He said another coworker was headed to Oklahoma. I don't know what happened to my other 2 coworkers.

Apparently, there's another mass exodus this afternoon. It was calm this morning, but now that it's looking worse out, I think a lot of people have changed their minds and are leaving.

I'm recharging my camera battery, then I'll post a couple of pre-hurricane pics.

No comments: