Monday, October 26, 2009

NASA's Ballunar Festival and Open House

I volunteered to help out at our booth at NASA's open house on Saturday.  I don't know how much help I was, because I had to take Declan with me.  But there were a lot of volunteers there, so no one had to do very much.  And everyone loved holding and watching over Declan so I could do a few things now and then.  I think my biggest accomplishments were getting lunch, recycling the cardboard boxes and giving a personalized "tour" to a group of friends from Illinois.

Tom and Jan Jones, the parenst of my best friend from high school, were visiting Galveston for a week doing some missionary work and rebuilding a church destroyed by Hurricane Ike last year.  They came along with several of their friends.  It was just an accident really, that they learned about the festival.  I was visiting Illinois last July and mentioned the Ballunar Festival to Jan.  She said she would be in Galveston, and it so happened they were both on the same weekend.  They were all excited to come and see what happens at JSC.  Don't know if they saw any balloons or not, though.

I was disappointed that the balloons didn't fly in on Friday morning like they normally do.  Someone told me it was because the weather was too cold, but I don't know.  Didn't see them on Saturday morning either.

But Declan and I had fun.  I got a personalized postcard of Declan in an astronaut suit next to the space shuttle going up. And I got a picture of him with an astronaut while wearing his new astronaut t-shirt.

It was a long day, but it was a lot of fun.  And Declan was such a peach while we were out.  He didn't fuss or cry at all.  He skipped his morning nap because there was too much fun stuff going on, but he finally conked out in his stroller around 4:00 pm. I think we all had a good day.

No comments: