Thursday, October 04, 2007

When it rains, it pours

Our bad week continued in a spectacular way. By the end of the day, 6 of our 7 fish had bit the dust. Or gone belly up, to be more precise. We have one lonely fish swimming in circles. For a while, we weren't sure he was going to make it. We moved him to a smaller container while we make repairs to the big pond.

Last Friday, we headed to Fredericksburg to visit the Renewable Energy Roundup. We stopped at Whataburger for lunch. Bad idea. A couple hours later, Daniel started feeling ill, and the last 2 hours of the trip were him alternately freezing to death or being ill by the side of the road. When we got to Fredericksburg, we immediately went to the emergency room. Diagnosis? A bad case of food poisoning. So I went to the fair by myself while he watched tv in the hotel room on Saturday.

On the silver lining side, I had a great time. I met a couple at breakfast who were wildlife rehabilitators. They had brought 20 turtles (including one 60 pound box turtle) and 6 alligators from El Paso to a refuge near Austin. Also talked with a really nice shop owner who used to work for Lockheed Martin before he started a new job as a jeweler. The fair was nice, and I got some neat ideas and saw some good products.

My bad luck wasn't done yet though. Yesterday, on my way to work, my alternator stopped working. Work has been so busy I haven't even had a chance to get it to the shop, yet. I'll hopefully get it in tomorrow, so we can go on the Houston Solar Home tour this Saturday. And hopefully, I'll get a break and some time to get stuff done around the house. Like fix the fish pond.

No comments: