Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Had my glucose test this morning

Everyone was right. The drink they give you is disgusting. Mine tasted like limeade. The first 3rd wasn't all that bad, really. The second 3rd I had to work to get it down. The last 3rd only went down by sheer willpower. Blech. Then you sit around for an hour before they draw your blood. I won't find out the results until Friday. The nurse was nice, but they had not written on my paper work that I was supposed to get 2 vials of blood drawn. One for the glucose test, and the other for standard blood work, including anemia. I mentioned that to her, unfortunately AFTER she had taken the needle out of my vein. She apologized and proceeded to stick the other arm for the 2nd vial. Luckily she was very good and neither of the needle sticks hurt.

Asked my doctor about a couple of questions I had. The main one was my heart rate. It seems like it's been racing lately. I walked into Kroger's and just walking into the store, my heart was pounding. So I sat at the automatic blood pressure thing to see what my blood pressure was. It was 117/72 but my heart rate was 95! Today in the doctor's office, my bp was 106/62, so I obviously don't have a bp problem yet.

The doctor said it was very normal for a pregnant woman's heart rate to speed up because of the extra work it's doing. She said 95 wasn't bad at all, but if it went to 110-120 and wouldn't go back down, I should go to the ER. I also asked about my exercising heart rate. I'd been trying to keep it to 140 or less because that was what I had read. I asked her if that was right, and she said yes. Actually, for me, she said it should probably be lower because of my age. She wants it to be 220-my age * 60 to 70%, so somewhere around 120. Man, that's like barely doing any work at all. (Actually, I just calcualted it. It's 108-126. That feels like I'm not even exercising!)

My weight gain is about on track. Looks like I gained about 3-4 pounds last month. A pound a week. Not bad for Christmas with a sweet tooth. Speaking of which, it was really hard to resist the temptation to stop and get a donut on my way home from the doctor's office this morning. Silly, I know. But my sweet tooth has been going crazy lately, and I've had to abstain from sugar for the last 5 days including Christmas. But I was good. I came home and made a bowl of oatmeal with a bit of peanut butter and cocoa in it.

Now I'm off to contemplate improving the storage in the closet in the baby's room.

No comments: