Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Hope everyone had a wonderful day. I had a very nice day. Nice and quiet and fun.

Apparently I drove Daniel crazy and he just had to give me my present on Christmas eve. I don't mind. I got something really cool! I got a Kindle! Awesome! I'd wanted one ever since they came out, but I didn't figure I'd get one for at least another 2-3 years. Within about 10 minutes of opening it up, I had it connected, registered to me and had bought a book and was able to read it on my Kindle. It's pretty darn slick.

So far, I've downloaded a bunch of first chapters of a whole bunch of books, and I've got a free 2-week subscription to 3 different blogs, to see how much I like them. They've only got access to about 21 magazines and about 15-20 newspapers. I don't tend to read newspapers, but it would be nice to look at individual editions sometimes. The Houston Chronicle costs $0.50/issue. I can also get Newsweek for a really cheap price.

It's also connected to my Amazon wish list, so I can browse the store through the same wireless that cell phones use, all free of charge. If something strikes my fancy, I can see if the book is available, or I can check Wikipedia for a word or phrase that interests me. I can even check the weather whenever I want to.

It's not a multimedia device. It's strictly a reader, but I love to read. I have a feeling I'll be spending lots more money on e-books now.

I got Daniel 3 movies that he wanted, plus some Kona coffee from Hawaii and a couple of shirts. I think the only time he gets new shirts is when I buy them for him at Christmas. :)

It was nice out today. Overcast, but fairly warm. Went for a couple of walks and had a couple of snoozes. For dinner, we had our fried turkey. Eh, can't say it was as good as all that. Wasn't any better or juicier than roasting our own bird at home, but now we've tried one. Maybe it would be better fresh. We picked it up on Tuesday and kept it in the frig until tonight. I also made a great butternut squash and cranberry dish that was delicious. Took the place of desert. Which is good, since I need to stop eating sugar until after next Tuesday and my gestational diabetes test. Bleah. Oh well, I think I'm tired of sugar and junk food and chocolate for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm staying away from the Kindle, and all of the current ebook readers:

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/day16-kindle-swindle

I've heard of a few readers where the software upgrades made the older ebooks obsolete. And there's no obligation for the publisher to provide you with a new copy. So you either need to purchase it again or, if they don't upgrade the book, do without.

No thanks. I'll wait for an open source ebook reader.