Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cake Truffles = FAIL!

I saw a recipe that I'd been itching to try out for a few weeks now. Someone had posted about taking the Oreo truffle recipe and making it with a chocolate cake instead. So yesterday, I baked a chocolate cake, let it cool and crumbled it up. Then I made up a vanilla butter cream frosting and mixed the cake into the frosting. Next you roll it into balls, put them in the freezer, then dip them in chocolate.

Well, my frosting to cake ratio was too high, and the balls never really set up. Then for the chocolate coating, I only melted some semisweet chocolate chips and rolled them in it. The coating was too thick at first, so I added a tiny bit of vegetable oil to thin it out, but it was still somewhat thick. Plus the chocolate now had cake bits in it because the cake balls were falling apart.

I only ended up getting about 15 truffles out of the chocolate coating, and I had a lot of cake mix left over. Today I tried forming them into molds, but the cake mix was still too soft. Maybe I should just throw them all out and try again. Or try something different.

No comments: